View Single Post
Max Sluiter

Garage
I understand this is for the A/C but I still can't let that point you made rest until it has been corrected. It is the engineer in me.

Yes, you can use tricks to lower the temps below ambient- a dedicated A/C unit for the engine, not you; pack the air/air intercooler with ice; spray water onto the air/air intercooler.

The last two tricks are not going to last for extended periods, which may be fine for your intended mode of use.

The first one is more complex and will rob some horsepower from the engine due to parasitic losses just like a supercharger and will add weight so you may end up with a wash in terms of performance.

You seemed to be implying that simply switching to an air/water/air intercooler would allow the temperatures to be below ambient air temperature. This is incorrect. You would have to use the same tricks above but on the intercooler's radiators. Because of the increased number of heat transfer areas it should be less efficient in a race situation than an air/air intercooler and also weigh more.

The water intercooler just moves the air heat exchanger to a different place. You will still need a fan to blow through it if you are not moving fast enough that the air/air unit would heat soak.

Why not just put the A/C condenser where you were going to put the radiators?

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 09-11-2011, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)