View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
glowing turbine housing

Anyone ever notice if the turbine housing glows slightly red at idle when looking at it at night?
I was checking for oil drips and leaks last nite after a short drive while the engine cooled down and noticed the turbine housing had a slight redish glow which is not noticeable during the day. The header pipes did not glow just the turbine housing from the mounitng flange on up.
I did not drive it hard for the last 10 minutes of my trip and it had been idling for 3 minutes to cool down before I shut it off when I noticed the color.

I just want to see if this is normal or not?

My iginition timing is set to 0-2 degrees before TDC at 950rpm so I am not running it too retarded which would normally cause this I dont think. AF ratio at idle is 13.5 to 1 or abouts. Hard to get a good reading off the O2 sensor in the zork tube at idle though, lots of fresh air reversion gives a false reading.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 09-12-2011, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)