Thread: 3.3 Blew Up!!!
View Single Post

3.3 Blew Up!!!

Greetings,

Last year I was on the expressway coming back from my parents house, when during a wide open throttle session......I hear a loud POP followed by smoke and the motor running really rough. When I pulled over and looked under the car, I see oil bleeding out and again black smoke bellowing out from the tailpipes and under the car as well.

My initial diagnosis was a blown turbo, but after doing a more in-depth investigation I saw nothing wrong with the turbo. At this point I did a compression check on all cylinders and found that the number 1 cylinder was completely dead. Seeing this was towards the end of the driving season, October (I live in Chicago, driving season doesn't last that long) decided to put the beast into hibernation.

Moving forward, to this year. I finally have some time to work on the motor. I decided that this would be a great project to do with my dad (retired mechanic) kind of a bonding project. Anyway yesterday I took apart the motor and found whats to be one of my most frightening nightmares a Porsche owner can have a blown/disfigured cylinder and cylinder head.

Further inspection, revealed all 6 pistons and 5 cylinders are in great shape. Barely any wear as the motor was rebuilt by the previous owner about 35k ago.

I have attached pics of the 1 cylinder and cylinder head. You can see there is a hole between the cylinder and cylinder head. In addition, I've attached pics of the timing chain housing that also has a hole in it, which seems to be a result of the gaping hole from the cylinder and cylinder head.

On the rocker arm for cylinder 1, we noticed that the shaft for the rocker arm had moved its way towards the front of the housing.

Below are a few questions I have for my Pelican members. I ask that you please give me your input and most importantly I appreciate all your help.

What could have caused this catastrophic failure?

Why would the rocker arm shaft have moved itself?

Will I need to replace the cam housing?

Can I just replace the number 1 cylinder and cylinder head or would it be best practice to replace all pistons and cylinders?

Again thank you all in advance for your help!!

Old 09-18-2011, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)