View Single Post

Although off-topic a bit, I too am interested in the VR and overcharging symptoms. My VR is crapping out, but only when the engine reaches a certain temperature...then the charging volts jump way up there (I mean like over 17v). So far, the only symptom I have noticed (besides a rotten egg sulfur stink from the overcharging battery) is my Innovate gauge AFR's dropping to pig rich once past 3000 rpms. Most likely it's challenging the Innovate voltage regulation circuits and causing erroneous readings (will probably end up frying a zener diode if I'm not careful). My tach operates flawlessly under all conditions.

I hooked up a really old vintage bakelite analog gauge from the 50's to a keyed power source behind the dash, and can see the instant it starts to overcharge. This winter, the alternator comes out for a new vr.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)