View Single Post
beancounter

I had to make this decision when I rebuilt and modded my engine.

My choice was an Electromotive XDI2 with Clewett install kit. I also looked at 12 plug distributors from JB Racing, or having the stock distributor modified for twin plug. Cost was pretty similar with 12 plug distro option being a tad more $. I ultimately picked Electromotive because of the ability to fine tune the ignition map. The XDI2 is laptop programmable with a MAP vs. RPM table. System was easy to install and virtually plug and play.

My biggest beef with the 12 plug distributor option was the ability to control advance and retard is limited. JB's distributor has an adjustable mechanical advance, but no provision for boost retard. You would need to add something like the MSD boost retard module to get this important feature. If you have the factory dizzy modified for 12 plug, you can retain the vac/boost control pod that advances and retards the timing. You could have the distributor recurved while its modified, but after its set up you can't really change the curve.

As much as I like the old school look of a fat 12 plug distributor, I felt like modern programmable ignition was a better choice to help protect my $$ engine. YMMV.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)