View Single Post
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
DSP - I was on the lookout for something non-blingy (do NOT like the flashy lights, garish buttons, etc). Have used Alpine in the past, but even they've gone the route of boy-racer these days.

I bought a Parrot Asteroid a few months ago, as it's nice and sober looking (you don't have to have the album art showing, per the shots on the site)....As a gadgeteer, it can also plug and play with stuff, which i wanted/needed; I have an iPod Classic in the glovebox, there's a GPS receiver included too, and it's underlying OS is Android. The unit is about half the depth of a normal single DIN unit, nothing slides in or out, flaps down, etc, and it sits beautifully flush with the dash - I'll take a pic an upload in the next day or so. The control panel is also removable when leaving the car.

Works well, doesn't have loads of tiny fiddly buttons, clear to read whilst driving, can also use a simple USB stick for music instead of iPod if you want...has built in amp (although I use an external Massive Audio unit in the luggage comp) and connects to your bluetooth phone consistently, even when unit is "off" (in reality, its in standby....just displays the time but will still accept incoming calls)

Only been available for a few months and I got mine for 299 in the UK...not sure if available in the US (should be, but Parrot is a French company, so who the f*** knows)

BTW, I ran a top-end Becker Cascade unit in my old GT3, and then moved it across initially to the 964...what a pile of s**t....do not buy Becker, they've stopped making consumer aftermarket units, there is little support now....and most scarily, mine decided to spontaneously combust the other month, THANKFULLY I was in the car at the time fitting the last piece of new carpet when I noticed smoke (and NO, I hadn't snagged a wire, was nowhere near) coming from under the dash.

Spoke to the UK service agents, and they've seen this before. Upon diagnosis, the whole main-board has blown....the headunit new was over 900 and to repair was likely to be >450...it had to go back to Germany, new board, then calibrated (the Bluetooth unit), then shipped back, etc, etc...I didn't persue...I'd had nothing but niggles with this pile o'crap, s/w glitches, you name it...yes it looked nice and stock, but really, for that money was outperformed by even the most modest aftermarket unit that retails @ 150.

I'm just thankful my car didn't go up with it.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)