View Single Post

Garage
Rarlyl8 930 Transformation

After dreaming of getting back into a 911 for many years, the opportunity came to act on the dream last summer (2010) when I found a beautiful 1989 2 previous owner 930 Cabriolet in Asheville, NC. The seller, a plastic surgeon, had owned the car for 18 years and bought it from a friend of his, another surgeon. He had all of the service records back to new, including original window sticker, original bill of sale, and the sales brochure for 89 911's. It had 70,000 easy miles and had any maintenance ever needed performed by professional Porsche technicians. The car was all original and the body and interior were in great condition. So we made a deal and it was mine. There were no surprises. However, I wasn't completely fulfilled as my dream car did not perform to my expectations and didn't sound like the car of my dreams. I got used to driving modern performance cars like ZO6's, modded WRX's, modded 335i's and the 930 was not quite in the same league. Sure, it was the hottest thing going in its day, but does not compare to today's technology.

I started roaming the various Porsche forums and more or less settled on this one and discovered a lot of positive comments about products designed by Brian Bodart of Rarlyl8 Motorsports. Lots of happy customers. Started talking with Brian almost a year ago and he asked a lot of question and recommended modifications that he felt would accomplish what I would be happy with. It then took almost a year to convince the "fun police" that this was not a bad thing to do. She will never believe it is a good thing. Anyway, Brian and I emailed and talked and decided without touching any of the engine internals and by using only bolt on mods, I could "transform" the car (to use Brian's words).

The plan was to use all Rarlyl8 designed components, his street muffler, intercooler, equal length headers, and newly designed heat exchangers, and the upgraded K27 turbo. Then all of the original components could be boxed up and the car could be returned to original if needed.

I trailered my car to Brian in Huntsville, Al, several weeks ago and left it with him, then picked it up this week. "Transformation" is an understatement. It is a totally different car in a good way. Scary fast! Turbo spool up is way quicker and the sound is fantastic. Before and after dynos indicated a gain of 114 hp and 87 ft/lb of torque. We were originally going to go with a 1 bar spring but this really proved unnecessary so the stock .8 bar spring is still in place.

Thanks Brian!!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)