View Single Post

I wonder where the turbo is leaking oil?

If it's from the upper in, or lower out oil lines or the $3-$4 gaskets that seal where they attach to the bearing housing it's a quick and easy fix. If you reuse either of those 2 gaskets that should only be installed new and dry they will probably leak. If you over tighten the 2 bolt flanges on them they may become bent and warped and leak in the middle between the 2 bolt holes.

If it's leaking past the piston ring oil seals on the turbine shaft into the cold side or hot side turbine wheel covers and dripping from the seam then I suggest sending it to Durabilt and have it fixed right with a 360 degree thrust bearing instead of the more common 270 degree thrust bearing that has less surface area for side thrust force from the compressor wheel and can let more oil through the 90 degree open area at the bottom, and they will check and make sure the bearing housing is not eroded and worn where the the piston ring oil seals contact the inside diameter.

A too small lawn mower size air filter or larger one that is dirty and partially clogged will increase how hard the turbo has to suck air, and the resulting vacuum in the compressor housing will suck oil past the cold side piston ring oil seal into the compressor housing. Once that starts the seal is breached and oil may continue to leak into the compressor housing even if no air filter is installed.

Don't take it from me though, call Bob at Durabilt and let him educate you.
http://www.durabilt-turbo.com/

If the bearing housing is eroded they may machine it smooth and install oversize journal bearings and piston ring oil seals to fix it.

Lesser turbo rebuild shops don't do that and they don't have the ultra expensive VSR turbo balancing machine to high speed computer balance the cartridge assembly to origonal specs, and some of them may use cheap chinese K27 rebuild kits you can find on ebay to increase their profit margin

Then theres the oil scavange system that may not be working well and I guess you've checked that.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151 (permalink)