View Single Post

Update: This started off as a fix for my own car, then I made some for other Porsche enthusiasts. I can now produce these units on demand. The design has been refined and the unit is now in a smaller size housing at 2” x 1.5” x 1” .

To summarize, Tach-Adapt locks to the points (or electronic ignition) signal, and then regenerates a new pulse-train at the rate needed to make your tachometer read correctly, even if it was intended for use on an engine with fewer or more cylinders. Tach-Adapt is useful for…

1) Engine swaps: For example, swapping a 911 engine into a 912 body, or vice-versa. Use Tach-Adapt to make the original tachometer indicate correctly with the new engine.

2) Tachometer changes/upgrades: Tach-Adapt allows use of (for example) a 6-cylinder tach on a 4 or 8 cylinder engine.

3) CD ignition upgrades. When adding CDI to a car that had basic Kettering ignition, the original tachometer usually won't respond because the 'new' points signal lacks a high voltage pulse. Tach-Adapt regenerates this pulse to your tach, making it indicate correctly.

Tach-Adapt is a quick, non-invasive, low-cost, solution that can be easily reversed. It’s simple to install and avoids the hassle and higher expense of tachometer removal and re-calibration by an outside service.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)