Thread: 964 engine
View Single Post

Garage
Olivier, Slow down take a deep breath, do your homework. You are agonizing over the same thing that many of us have over the years. You are where I was in 1994. But you have the advantage of a lot of experience here and at Rennlist. Use these sources for guidance in whatever you do.

To me the swap is a no brainer because it's all plus with very few minus. A stock 964/993 is a wonderfully reliable torquey engine. I did my transplant in '94 w/ a very low milage '93 engine and have had zero problems or complaints. Some of the earlier engines had problems w/ head gaskets, but this was cured by a redesign in '92, distributor belts can break but the vent kit introduced in '93 seems to have alleviated that problem. Heat has been the enemy since day one and became more critical starting w/ the 3.2s. For various reasons the factory felt that it was ok to let the engines run hotter, this combined w/ higher milage is a killer to valve guides. The cure is to keep oil temps under 220&degF, stock 964/993 often run to 250&degF. At worst if guides are needed it is a great excuse to do cams. 993ss cams on stock 964 w/ a chip will give an easy(tractable) and reliable ~300hp. I have seen it many times. That was my plan untill some other very attractive options fell into my hot little hands.

Steve has a nice summary of the different years attributes at his site, I won't go into the details but I agree totally w/ his assessments. Best is a euro varioram 993, followed by a '95 993 followed by a '92-94 964, then the earlier 964s. Prices will reflect the desireability.

Notably absent from the above list is US '96-98 993 varioram due to complications involving OBDII electronics. Not to mention the problematic air pump systems used on US versions.

My engine you will note is not the most desireable(going into my best imitation of a salesman here, feel free to ignore the following), but nevertheless will not have the problems associated w/ earlier versions and is priced very fairly. '93 was a good year over all, the plastic intakes are a plus, the dist. vent kit is a plus, the fact that oil temps have always been under 210 is a plus. The milage is a bit of a minus(but still low for the year), the valve guides while still fine are starting to show the tiniest bit of wear reflected in oil consumption of ~2 qts in 3500 mi. the last compression test was done last winter when the engine was out for a transmission swap, valves were adjusted and the entire engine inspected at that time, everything was nominal. The car was dynoed in May and the nominal 250hp@ 6100 rpm was indicated.

I speak w/ Steve frequently but not about prices for used engines, I do know that he is annoyed w/ good reason about all of the tire kickers that want free information, part of doing business I guess.

The price difference between a 3.6 swap and sale of the old engine as you have noted is relatively small, making the swap financially attractive as well as attractive from a performance point of view. Whether you buy my engine or someone elses you will be very happy w/ the resulting product and as noted previously there is room for all sorts of performance upgrades if desired. Feel free to contact me privatey if you need additional info.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)