Thread: oil to use?
View Single Post
Manassas, VA

Garage
You will likely get many and varied opinions on this topic. However, you are on the right track with the ZDDP. There are some problems with the alleged content of ZDDP in various oils because the EPA doesn't like it. Some of the chemical make-up may damage the inner workings of the catalytic converters. So the oil companies are in a quandary - advertise the higher levels of ZDDP and sell more oil to us Porsche people and face the wrath of the EPA or not.

I personally believe the best oil for a turbo application is 100% synthetic. There is just too much new technology in these oils to not use them with our high-temp, high-pressure engines. I don't care about loyalty to a certain company or refinery, I think there are good and bad, but don't let marketing be the most important thing.

Some people use aviation, motorcycle, or truck oil. I would stay away from it. How does this sound to you? "Yes, your honor, I was using oil specifically designed for a Harley-Davidson in my Porsche." "Son, I see no merit in your claim that your engine blew up because it was not rebuilt correctly, case dismissed."

Mark

Last edited by lucittm; 10-21-2011 at 06:05 PM..
Old 10-21-2011, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)