View Single Post
After the next project

Garage
My new purchase (550).. need help with Peterson Oiling system & motor

I just purchased this car about a month ago. It is a 550 Spyder Tribute. Here are the details that I know...

- 2.4 litre twin plug early 70's motor
- 901 trans
- Peterson Oiling system with 400 series inline filter
- Built by Tom at Thunder Ranch.. This is his 2nd (number 2 chassis) 6 cylinder kit.
- finished by Ed and his son Sean down in San Diego area. The previous owner is the one who had all the motor work done...
- Weber 40's

Car was built about 5 years ago and wasn't finished until about 2.5 years ago. In 2009, it was on the cover of Kit Car Magazine. This is what I need help with... #3 is the most important if anyone can help me dig up the answer. Feel free to pass this along to anyone that you know that may be able to identify the motor and remember building it. I can get the guys name that did have the motor built but don't know it at this time.

1) How do I service the 400 series inline filter? is it just a metal cartridge that I can clean with brake cleaner and reinstall? It is just behind the tire in the picture. It looks like a large red bull can in size.
2) How do I know what capacity of oil this car should take? The tank is pretty large
3) I am trying to find out where this motor was built. I was told it was done by a guy/company up in the San Fran area but have no idea. I am trying to find out what cams are in the car and what compression it is at without diving into the motor too far.

Here are a couple pics. We are estimating around 200-220HP and the car weighs 1,400 lbs. I know most of you on this forum so I figured this would be a good place to start. Thanks for any help you can offer.

At RennSport Reunion:

The Engine. You can see the Peterson Oil tank on the back left side. This was installed later by a company down in San Diego area.

Crappy Interior pic. I already have added a 917 Balsa wood shift nob to match the steering wheel.

Current cars: 2006 Cayenne TTS, 1991 964 Cabrio, 1997 993TT, 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Old 10-22-2011, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)