View Single Post

Advice on stud removal

During a tear down for installation of an aerochrger turbo kit I have decided to go a bit further and reseal cam boxes with the engine in the car. I have it basically all tore down now but in the process of removing the stock headers broke a few studs. i had to butcher the header heat box to get access to some of the bastards, just blobs of rust after 25 years! There is still a decent amount of length on the three studs that broke and I was wondering if I should heat the crap out of the studs to give me more of a chance or removal (cherry red like I had to with the header nuts).

I am also pulling the exhaust air injection stuff off and one of the air injectors galled up the thread in the port on the way out. If i can salvage the exhaust studs in the car then I'm planning on a 10x1mm timecert in situ, wondered if anyone saw an issue with this. I've ordered some super high temp 2000+F thread locker to seal it in there. If I pull the heads to repair studs then I may get it welded up and tapped.
Cheers
Old 10-30-2011, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)