View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney265 View Post
Derek,

have you looked at each [6] of your exhaust ports independently at idle? And, are any of them glowing? Or, have you checked the temperature of each individually [with pyrometer/infared]?

Just curious if you have a single cylinder or maybe two doing something funny at idle...

yep, checked the surface temp of all 6 headers at the port with a pyrometer when I got home and noticed the glow. None of them was glowing, and they ranged from mid 500F to low 600'sF within a minute of pulling into the garage (I keep the pyrometer in the car as I am still in tuning mode).

I haven't had a chance to read the plugs yet, but is it possible that one is not firing and passing raw gas into the exhaust system and it being ignited when it hits the collect and mixes with the other cylinders mixes which are still combusting/have residual O2 which would allow post ignition of the raw gas and overheat the turbo? this is probably a stretch, as the car runs great, idles smooth, and has not miss, but I am reaching at this point.

'81 Euro SC coupe, 79 3.3 930 engine, 930 transaxle, B&B full dual outlet exhaust, 964 intercooler, 964 cams, CIS injection, K27 7006 turbo. '08 Triumph speedtriple. '06 BMW 330xi
Old 10-30-2011, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)