View Single Post

22 degrees F - like a needle in the arm

I haven't yet convinced myself to put her to bed for winter....so I roared off to work this morning at 0-dark-30 with ambient temps resting at 22 degrees. I do believe that may be the record low for my 930.

For those of you who reside in hot/humid locations where anything less than 45 degrees warrants FEMA intervention, unfortunately you won't be able to relate to this. But let me tell you, until you've tasted cold dense air you don't know what a kick in the pants these old CIS cars can be.

Some Google-search provided the following: Air at 22 degrees is 10% more dense than air at 70 degrees....at atmospheric pressure. Now boost her up to 1.0 bar and that extra density becomes extra HP. 10% more HP...??? If I were an automomotive engineer I could answer that, but my butt dyno says at least that.

Who really cares. The fact is that boost is quicker, lag is less, and performance overall is simply awesome. She was just happily barking at me as I ran her through the gears. The only problem is that it was way-dark outside, so I had to keep her under triple digits.

One final note: My idle was hanging up at around 1500 when stopping after 20 miles. Seems my AAR would need a different calibration at these cold temps. Oh...and even though my foot well blowers suck (winter project to fix them) the cabin was comfortable enough.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 11-05-2011 at 02:28 PM..
Old 11-05-2011, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)