View Single Post

Garage
little depressed today...engine rebuild question

so, i had a brand new rear fuel pump i picked up for peanuts, and decided to replace mine for absolutely no reason other then i had a brand new pump sitting there and replaced my front pump the week before...

so after jacking the car up, i finally realized how bad the engine is leaking...

ill start by saying it is a 1980 930 3.3. i picked this up from the second owner not really knowing exact mileage. He had the original odometer with 69kil on it, but had a MPH speedometer installed by a shop (have paper work), with 19k on it, i now have 29xxx on the car, so i am thinking about 70-80k miles?

the car sat for 9 years in a garage, so i am assuming most of the seals dried up at this time

car starts everytime, right up, doesnt smoke a bit, and runs great, and pulls like a freight train! i usually get a dime size drop on the floor everytime i park the car...

after jacking car up to replace rear pump i realized the whole bottom half of the engine is covered in oil. its so hard to track down a single leak, it seems to be everywhere...

I have made the decision to pull the engine and trans over the winter for a full transmission rebuild, but had no intentions of doing any engine work since funds are already tight as can be.

i have built a few V8 ford engines and a couple subaru engines in my past, but never a porsche engine

the million dollar question is...

would it be stupid for me to just re-ring the pistons and top end seal this engine?

seems dumb, but i always thought if you had a engine down to the pistons, why not split the case, but i know i do not have the funds for a full rebuild (being a single 30 year old house owner).

i feel pretty confident that i could re-ring and reseal the top end myself

sorry for long post...your thoughts.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)