View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986 930 View Post
When looking at old 930s, or any old cars for that matter, there is a balance between low miles and having sat idle for a long time. Sitting is bad for these cars. If the paint and interior are in great shape, a higher milage car may be preferable. 85k miles on a 32 year old 930 is not that high.

You will end up putting the money back into the car whether it is low or high mileage. Probably around $5k in the first year if you start driving it. Maybe less if you are a good wrench and have tools.

85k miles on a '79 would be around a 2700 miles/year average. When you are looking at the car, look at the service paperwork. Check the mileage for every visit and write it down next to the date of the visit and see how much it has been driven over the last 5 or 6 years. That will tell you what you are going to be looking at when you start driving it.

Then enjoy!

Good Luck,
Great advice above. I bought my 79 930 five years ago and it had 85k miles on the speedo. The car was extremely clean and the owner showed me every rock chip on the front bumper and hood so I knew he took great care of it under his watch. It was only driven a few thousand miles the last few years so the tires were junk (I found out later), but the rubber seals and hoses were good which is what you need to check on a low use car. The turbo may be needing a rebuild if its original cause they last about 100k....but replace it with the modern k27 series anyway. Budget some bucks for the requisite intercooler and oil cooler upgrades if you want to invest in taking stress off the engine and making it last longer. Thats my advice. The 79 series also comes with the euro fuel head and injectors so its alot more suited to hp mods later when you're ready.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 11-22-2011, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)