View Single Post

Smog, grey market cars, CA registration, and other mircales...

So I have officially joined the club and purchased a 1983 930. There are a few hurdles I need to jump through however before I'm free and clear. The car is from Oregon and was imported there from Germany in 1983 and has never been registered in CA. It does, however have all the necessary safety and smog equipment as far as I can tell.

I took it to an independent smog shop and it passed the visual (02 senser and wiring =pass cat=pass) Fuel Evap controls=pass as well. It had N/A for the following: EGR, Fuel Evap, MIL. It also passed on the dyno.

I tried to register it at the auto club today but when it came up as a grey market car the said it needed a DMV managers code and they told me I have to go into the DMV to complete registration.

I'm just worried they're going to send me to a smog ref and I'm going to be under the microscope. I want to know what I need to be prepared for when I hit the DMV. Anyone have any experience with this? I've read and it seems like the car and the 02 sensor are really the only big issues.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)