View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by matsuzaka View Post
I am a big fan of turbocharging and I think it will be a big part of automobile's future. I'm not sure if anyone has seen the technology that's highlighted in the following:

EFI University Electronic Fuel Injection Tuning :: View topic - Pre Turbo throttle?

This was technology developed in the old 1.5L turbo F1 era, it continues to be used by all World Championship Rally cars today. To understand this technology, think about what happens when you put your hand over a vacuum cleaner hose, what do you hear?

I thought you guys would get a kick out of this.

Mac
"..a big part of (the) automobile's future..."

No, what we will see in the (near) future is a multi-mode engine. Otto mode for low cylinder fill idle or cruising, Atkinson mode (70% cylinder fill) for "WOT" (50% gas pedal travel), Miller cycle, linear rise in boost, beyond 50% gas pedal travel.

Variable intake valve timing along with positive displacement, variable boost, SC. Dual drive source for the SC via a Prius-like CVT/PSD, engine and electrics, no throttle plate.

Apologies for co-oping Ford's "TwinForce" (EcoBoost) DBW throttle control technique, and Toyota's E-VVT-i extended intake timing technique.

Turbocharging is not viable with the high power stroke efficiency of an Atkinson cycle engine wherein most/more of the energy of combustion is "exhausted" via pushing the piston downward.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)