Thread: Engine build
View Single Post

Garage
Engine build

Hi Guys,

Im just getting quotes from people here in the UK to rebuild my 1980 SC engine.
At a later date it will be supercharged or turbocharged (low boost setup), but as its being rebuilt I thought I may as well get a few mods done too.
I have only had one reply to my emails sofar!!! and was wondering what other mods might be recommended looking to the future with forced induction.
I may go to EFI later as well but for the time being cost is keeping that to a future upgrade.

The engine needs top end rebuild and a few broken studs doing.

The reply from Ninemeister is a s follows :

The stud job involves engine removal, full strip to cases, heat the cases to remove studs, fit new and rebuild, but in addition to that we would obviously be stripping down the cylinder head assemblies for a full refurbishment of the valve guides. Again, due to running with broken studs you will have to reface the heads to ensure that they a flat for the cylinder seals. On a good engine the job takes around 35-40 hours if everything comes apart easily enough but worst case we end up spending more hours burning off exhaust nuts & bolts to get it all apart without shearing off studs. Our usual labour rate is 60/hr +VAT, but if we can make a start on it in December I'd be willing to give you a fixed price of 2500 including VAT for the remove and top end rebuild. For the record a full engine build would be 3000 firm for labour under the same terms.

On top of the labour you will need parts and subcon cylinder head refurbishment

Head studs off 12 ~250, 24 off recommended ~ 500
Complete head gasket set, chain ramps, drain tubes, oil, filter, etc ~ 500

Cylinder head re-guide, seat cut, reface heads ~ 500

Cylinder head porting, RS valve reface ~600

Camshafts New 964 800 or possibly used 993 450

So, budget for around 4-4500 for a routine build or around 5500 with ported heads, 993 cams and a dyno set up session.

I know 964 cams work a treat in an SC but i've not heard that 993 cams would work! also what advantage would RS valve reface be?

All the prices are + vat and 20% here in the UK :-(

Thanks, any advice/feedback would be appreciated.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)