View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
I've driven my car for about 20K miles, now. I've had perhaps one single puckering incident on the street (which was my fault), let alone any complete loss of control of the car. I'm no star driver, but is the handling of a 930 really "poisonous?"
Weight transition is a big factor, I think. I found it quite easy to unstick either end with careless application of a 3DLZ, even with TB's that were stiffer than stock (and, despite the SC body, about the same amount of rubber as a stock 930). A more progressive turbo makes a huge difference.

IIRC, the factory increased the sways and TB's throughout the production run, to dial out the oversteer.

But this was an early ('79) 930 nailed hard off the line, into a curve that it couldn't be driven around by the factory test driver at the reported speed, driver proceeded to lift and apply the brakes hard (see the discussion of the snapped brake pedal) once oversteer was already induced. And it span. Gee.

Seems to me that even today's cars stuffed with electronics would have their work cut out correcting for that amount of operator error - and as for the 930 being unsafe, there were many cars in the 70-80's that wouldn't have been forgiving driven in that manner. Although few of them had as much power.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)