View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahnzai View Post
on a 930, is there suppose to be a 9mm ball that drops in to a tapered seat to keep the supply line from draining when the engine is shut off?
I am doing a rebuild. I don't recall this being in place during tear down. I guess it makes sense, but also seems like it would be a restriction. Just making sure I am correct in adding it.
Thanks!

Yes, and when the motor is running the ball is forced up against that slotted banjo bolt by oil pressure and the oil has to flow around the ball and through those 2 slots in the bottom of the banjo bolt before going into the oil line to the turbo.

The 2 slots restrict the quantity of oil flow to the turbo bearing housing so it doesn't get too much oil and breach the piston ring oil seals on each end of the turbine wheel shaft.
If that happens on the compressor side you get lots of oil mist all through the intercooler and then alot of oil smoke out the exhaust as it burns. If that only happens on the turbine side you get alot of oil smoke.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)