View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Seems high to me too. I did my own rebuild, and this was my first transaxle.

Once out of the car I had maybe 5 hours into labor, but I was in no hurry either. I could have easily done it quicker, especially if I'd done this kind of trans work before.

The only out source I did, was for removing & replacing the snycro rings, as I did not have a press at that time. That set me back $80 in labor.

Parts are another story, these puppies are not cheap, like they would a for Chevy Muncie 4spd or a Ford top loader.

I replaced all the bearings, syncro's, balk ring friction parts, snap rings, lock nuts, gaskets & seals, all has been well for 40k miles so far {still sucks to get into 1st some times, but I think that's just a 930 box for you}.

my .02 worth.

Mark
Didn't you need special fixtures to adjust the shift forks and measure back lash for the diff and stuff. Sounds like you must have done a few normal trannys before or did you go in blind on this one?
Thats a big job, congrats.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 12-05-2011, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)