View Single Post

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Freidmeister,
You are correct, in that this was not my first tranny, plus 25 years as an Aerospace machinist, combined with a 3 year vocational school program for automotive machinst/mechanic, didn't hurt either.

All my factory shop manuals indicated the need for jigs for the 915 tranny's, but as much for the 930 tranny. I did not modify the placement of the shift forks on their respective shafts, just verified proper engagement, as the tranny was shifting fine when removed.

I set up dail indicators on attached bases to check for diff. end play, used "prussian blue" dye paste for inspecting the ring & pinion contact area. Used dial indicators to check shaft end plays, and feeler gauges to verify shift fork alignment within the slider rings.

I did not inspect the limited slip carrier internally, as the diff. only had 30K on it at the time.

Of course, did a full bench check for proper shifting engagment, prior to re-installing into the car.

The only reason for the rebuild in the first place, was becasue it seems that the previous owner must have thought speed shifting and/or forced shifting were appropriate for a 930 tranny. Thus there was alot of particulate in the oil, that recirculated through all the bearings.

Mark
Old 12-06-2011, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)