View Single Post

optical trigger and timing

1st ....... happy new year to all and best wishes for the new year!!!!!!!

anybody have the crain xr 700 and the optical trigger?!?

i installed mine to mask a worn dizzy. '67 2.0L carbs, and i've been chasing carb and/or ignition problems. well, i recently got the dizzy rebuilt and i'm working on the timing. i don't have a manual for this engine but from what i understand i'm trying to get the timing close to 35 BTDC @ 6000 rpm.

i understand how turning the dizzy will advance the timing with points. but ........ with the optical trigger ........ what does turning the dizzy do, do you >need< to rotate the dizzy like with points?? there is a lot of adjustment with the optical trigger. would you align the timing marks, (z1, rotor, dizzy #1 mark) and then adjust the optical trigger until you get it to time at 35 BTDC. or .......... can you rotate the flywheel to the 35 mark and then adjust the optical trigger so that it triggers then?!?

i set the timing once before with the optical trigger by rotating the dizzy and then readjusting the trigger, trial and error, until i got the timing at 35 BTDC. but is that the right way?!?

am i making this harder than is really is?!? ( wouldn't be the 1st time!!)

happy new year!!!

doug
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougwatersfotos/
Old 12-31-2002, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)