View Single Post

Those oring adaptors leak some air pressure even if perfectly aligned because the outside of a K27 compressor housing is not machined at all and it's nowhere near smooth or perfectly round, it is a rough sandcast finish and no pushed on o-ring is gonna seal on it perfectly.
Anybody that thinks so is dreaming wishfully because unless the turbo is spraying oil mist with the airflow under boost pressure and there is no oil spraying past the oring with the air leaking past during actual driving conditions you have absolutly no way of knowing that.

I've been there and done that. I used fine sandpaper and then ultrafine 1200 grit sandpaper to smooth down the rough sandcast finish on the OD of the 2" exit pipe of a K27HFS turbo that leaked and sprayed oil mist with boosted air and I thought that oring adaptor was sealing well but when I looked oil had sprayed out with the air leaking past the orings and there was oil spray on the outside of the charge pipe above and below the oring adaptor and all around it.
There is no other way to know if the oring adaptor is leaking some of the invisable air pressure. You can easily still still get 1 bar boost or more if it's leaking some air pressure.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)