View Single Post
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Thanks for the restoration tip. A care package was sent to me by a fellow Pelican so I plan to try that stuff out first and see how it goes. Very slowly the car is coming back to the living as I steal a few minutes here and there to work on it.

By far the most frustrating project I have ever worked on are these heat exchangers. The headers we build are pretty much custom with the flanges for the heads and turbo being static while everything inbetween can move around with the welding heat. That makes standardizing the heat exchangers very very difficult. Late last night I finished modifying a set for headers sold a couple years ago, thank God I kept examples from each batch that can be used as a fixture. Templates were made from that set so I can start building them for the folks having the oldest headers. I've been told I'm just too anal and they are fine, but fine ain't good enough. Any outfit can produce fine. One bright spot is the stainless thread I am using to increase surface area and seal the gaps really seems to work well. I tested a set on the red rocket just before it left and they kept the cabin acceptable when it was 28 out.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #193 (permalink)