View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

Part 2 of my inspection was of course to determine to the best of my knowledge if the chassis was indeed a "test" chassis, or the original German chassis from 1987. While there is no sticker or VIN on the chassis that actually says "this is the original German chassis from 1987", one can take steps to try to verify the authenticity of the current owner's remarks. The first question was as to whether the chassis in front of me was indeed used as a spare chassis (never run), or if it was indeed the repaired chassis in the photos. There were a large number of signs that the chassis had been run and raced previously, and was not a "new off the shelf" item. Little things, like the accelerator cable mounts - these were not installed on the "original chassis", but there were still significant signs of wear there.

In this photo, you can see where the accelerator linkage mount used to be connected to the chassis. The outline and wear from the square mount is visible (indicated by the yellow arrow):

On the "Japan Car", you can see the same area where the cable is mounted, and the same clip that is used to attach it to the chassis:

I found several instances like this. In particular, I took the photo of the crashed chassis in the back of the pickup truck and compared markings / scratches on it to the chassis that was in front of me. For reference again, here's the crashed tub photo. The yellow arrow points to distinctive wear marks on the tub corresponding to the four holes in the side. The green arrow points to a distinctive "palm tree like" wear mark on the side.

I thought I had a much better photo of the opposite side on the "original car", but this one is the only one I have right now for some reason. It does show the various holes and wear marks that are present in the chassis on the pickup truck, leading me to conclude that they are one and the same. I haven't been able to find any instances where there are marks / details on the damaged chassis that aren't on the "original chassis" that I inspected. The green arrow points to the same "palm tree like" marking on the car. It's a bad photo, but from a different angle it's clear that it's the same mark (caused by some rubbing from the "fake passenger seat" at one time apparently).

Here's another shot of the pedal cluster area (the car is missing the pedals). It clearly shows where they were mounted at one time and the associated wear marks.

SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 02-04-2012, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)