View Single Post

Thanks for the info.

Well, let me clarifiy. 5mm at the WHEEL is no biggie - kinda common even.
But 6mm at a SHOCK, which generally means 10-20 at the wheel, is QUITE a bit.
Normally only happens with OEM shocks with large riders on Japanese bikes, or some lower spec triumphs or ducs.

But for it to happen on an aftermarket, allegedly properly sprung and setup ´custom shock´ is ridiculous. It means they totally blew the preload or springrate, or both.

Mind you, you´ll always have more static sag on the front than the rear, typically 15mm or so, with considerable latitude. But, 29 vs 5 is just ridiculous. Even as a lay person, knowing that motorcycles are vaguely 50-50 weight distribution creatures, and just using common sense, 5 and 29 should ring alarm bells, no?

I´d be ashamed if that left my shop, and would be very upset with myself or one of my guys. This is why I may sometimes appear a bit disdainful about Wilbers and their ´custom´ setups on the board here, even though I like their products OK. It´s just that they´re for the most part, as far off as any product short of one size fits all ones, but people that don´t know much trumpet their customized stuff. For custom tailored to be of value, the tailor must be competent.

No worries though. It´s probably just a matter of preload, and in any event, if YOU like it, then that´s ultimately all that matters, regardless of the opinion of a suspension geek.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Öhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 03-20-2012, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)