View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
Alan, it was resolved at the time, but I have no faith in the turbo and assume it will have a short life . . .

My first unit lasted all of 10 minutes before it started blowing oil (I **** you not)! I sent it back for repairs, and the builder blamed me, of course, saying that oil contaminates scored the bearings (no way no how) and I was charged several hundred dollars for the repair (and my turbo was gone for two months). It was at this time that I got into conversations with others on this board that had like-experiences in the past with these turbos. On a possitive note, the turbo performs very well. When it fails, I will either send it to Durabilt or go the Garrett route.

I want to add something here; if your turbo was built by the same builder/shop that makes the other "Hy Flow" variants, then this problem is nothing new or isolated. I have been in contact with 5-7 individuals that had the same experience (some sent their turbos back multiple time only to have the failure repeated). I can only speculate at to why the problem continues . . .

BTW: Brian (RarlyL8) had nothing to do with my turbo . . .
Thanks Ronnie - sounds like I am following in others footsteps. I was told this one had some foreign particulate in the oil intake tract when I sent it back - I had only taken it out of their box and bolted it on, same as I had bolted turbos on the beast numerous times before - and I did prime it with oil at the time.
This time I even blew the oil tract out with compressed air at the install, just in case.
BTW, Brian really had nothing to do with this one either, but his compelling sense of 'right' seems to make him want to take on the burden. I don't hold him responsible in any way.
Regards
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 04-04-2012, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)