View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
Excellent post JFairman. Thanks. By HFS are you referring to my HF 3LDZ?
I was going to take this info to my turbo guy and have him take a look inside the unit.
Thanks
Alan
Yes thanks for the explanation Jim. I had never gotten this detailed explanation of the differences from the turbo builders......even when asking. I can see why now. I thought I was getting something radically redesigned when they marketted the k27S when I bought it.
However, I am still happy with it and it performs well for my engine so far. It makes boost very early and the car is very linear to drive, and I have not noticed running out of air with it even up around 6000rpm in 3rd gear. I typically don't wind it up much past this engine rpm but might try it now to see what happens.
I will tell you the main driving force for me to go with KKK at the time was the ease of installation/interchangeablility to the existing OEM hardware. Plus KKK is a good name in turbos and I expected the same design and quality/reliability when buying my k27S. Since then Garret has relaesed some more advanced turbos that might perform better in our 930s...thats a good thing for guys buying now.

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"

Last edited by fredmeister; 04-05-2012 at 08:10 AM..
Old 04-05-2012, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)