View Single Post

Garage
Emissions - Off the Traffic Grid

I am sure that in time the California emissions standards will be enforced across the country. The “Vehicle Emissions Legislation” in Texas basically states that our emissions testing is added to a car’s yearly safety inspection requirement according to 1) Population of the City and 2) Other EPA considerations. To pass the basic vehicle inspection in many smaller towns you are only required to have at least one brake lite and a couple of tires with some tread on them. Even the emission standards in our larger metropolitan areas are certainly not as strict as in the state of California. In Dallas/Fort Worth some 928 owners with CIS injection must temporarily detune their cars to where they will hardly start and idle in order to get their inspection sticker.

Years ago the fee in Texas for our license plates was a calculated value based on the age of the vehicle. Most of the time the court house would almost owe me money because many of my cars were so old that they had fallen off their charts. When the flat rate came in, everyone now pays the same exorbitant license plate fee from a ragged 62 Volkswagen bug to a Cadillac Escalade.

I think the long term plan is to eventually price us off the traffic grid or force you into a Volt.

Michael
1975 911 Targa "Blue"

Last edited by JK McDonald; 04-07-2012 at 04:34 PM..
Old 04-07-2012, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)