Thread: 1986 930
View Single Post
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny771 View Post
Rule of thumb is, if one person complains or has issues with a company it has happened 100 times.
Another rule of thumb is that one dissatisfied customer can make a very loud and public stink, while there maybe hundreds of quietly satisfied customers who you will never hear from.

I've read many "watch out for Victory" threads. Without fail, regular forum contributors looking to increase their post counts pile on the "+1" and "^ yeah, what he said" responses, most of which are coming from people who have zero first hand knowledge of the man or his business but have read negative Internet forum posts.

I have no first hand experience with Victory. But I have visited his website and the guy does seem to have a good selection of cars on hand almost all the time. He's been in business for a while, so if I were looking, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and perhaps look at his wares...especially if I were in the vicinity of his store. Remember that Victory is a USED CAR DEALER. It seems to me that people expect something different when the used car in question is an old Porsche.

Caveat emptor applies no matter who you buy from. My stock advice for anyone wishing to become a curator of their own piece of automotive art that is the Porsche 930: have $15k in reserves for repairs, restoration, etc. I don't care what provenance the car has, or who owned it before, or how it passed PPI with flying colors. When you buy one of these things, you must accept the fact that its not a new car, you are not protected by a bumper to bumper warranty. Maybe you will choose well, and get lucky and won't spend any money on the car post purchase besides fuel and routine maintenance. However, odds are if you keep it and drive it, and have even the slightest desire to have it be "perfect" you will pay eventually. Go in with properly calibrated expectations, and there is a much higher likelihood of a satisfying purchasing/ownership experience.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)