View Single Post
Registered

Most dealerships will not even work on these cars anymore. They no longer train about them. They rarely carry parts for them.

Here is my question for consideration. Does this dealership SELL any similar cars? Are there any cars of this nature in there being serviced? [I know the answer. I am on their mailing list. This is something you need to conclude for yourself.]

There were a lot of 930s built over the decades. Many of them were poorly kept and ineptly upgraded. There are also many of exquisite cars. I agree that the seller should not have to jump through hoops to satisfy you. Conversely, it is YOUR money and it absolutely should be YOUR choice of who is inspecting the car. If he doesn't accept that, there are many others out there.

Most people, and this includes many Porsche repair shops. have little idea just how unique 930s are from 911s. I cannot tell you how many 930s I have seen that didn't run right because the mx thought he could do the repair, tho he had little understanding of all the unique bits that make them work...or not.

It reminds me of the situation in the 70s. Guys did their slop work on old VWs and mostly got away with things. They concluded they could work on Porsches as they were basically the same, right? That made for a lot of incredibly screwed up 356/912 Porsches.

You don't want a PPI by a good "Porsche shop". You want a PPI by a great Porsche shop with plenty of documented experience with 930s. Even then you can be out in left field if you aren't careful. The key is that you are satisfied and that you understand you aren't buying an expensive 911. You are buying an entirely different class of performance car, with needs and costs to match.

Good luck

JR
Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)