View Single Post

MFI Turbo Engines - Lot of pics

Hi gents,
some days ago, I visited a very special Porsche wizzard, named Gerhard Stahl, at his shop in Northern Germany. Mr Stahl is an absolute Porsche maniac, with a particular addiction to MFI and turbo-technology. In 1972, he built his first Porsche MFI-turbo engine and a lot of projects followed. His creations aroused the attention of Hellmuth Bott, the legendary former Porsche R & D boss (responsable for countless Porsche competition programmes, from 906 to Group C and also TAG F1), who asked him to join the Weissach team. Finally, Gerhard Stahl decided to continue with his own shop and that was the beginning of a long lasting He is very modest and always flew under the radar, but several Porsche shops still rely on his magic hands.
Unfortunately, with my poor knowledge, it was pretty difficult for me to follow his “lessons“ about certain technical details and solutions, such as the space cams, which he custom made for his applications. His creations may look simple, but let‘s not forget that some of the engines are already several decades old and can be considered the great-grandfathers of what we see today. In those days, there was a more mechanical approach and modern electronic engine management systems, knock sensing and all the modern (usefull) gimmicks had still to be invented. He had and still has a stunning talent of improvisation and you‘ll see what I mean. BTW, the whole Stahl family seems to be affected by the Porsche virus. His 75 year old brother regularly participates to marathon tours around the globe, such as the Hamburg – Shanghai journey or the Namibia-Southafrica round trip. Needless to say, in an old MFI Porsche....
I‘m going to show you some examples of his work, and I will add more details, later. I hope you like this time-travel and I thank you for your time.

G

First DIY wastegate made of a Porsche head and a Mercedes part on top..

DIY engine dyno – lever and weight not attached - with a very old 2.3l MFI-turbo engine

Old 04-25-2012, 12:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)