View Single Post

Paint repairs, how do I continue from here?

Hello Pelicans!

I bought a 911 last year and noticed some surface rust in the trunk area. It was hidden below the tank hoses in the trunk, so I decided to make this my first bodywork project. I suspect the PO spilled some brake fluid in there.

The tank itself was taken out and I removed all traces of fluid and rust mechanically and chemically. What is left is 100% rust free metal where there was once a good amount of surface rust.

My main question is how I should finish these metal areas. They will not be visible because theyíll be hidden in the front trunk under the liner, but since my car is very original otherwise, I still want to do a better job than POR15-ing the whole area. And Iíd like to get some experience in bodywork/paint repairs for other projects.

An air compressor and an airbrush is available to me. The car is in a garage, not much dust around and itís a temperature controlled environment.
I would like to use Glasurit 22 single stage paint which I have already sourced in my carís original color. Iíve also bought some 2-K Zinc Epoxy primer that was recommended to me.

My simple plan would be to shoot a coat of 2K Zinc EP and then 2-3 thin coats of Glasurit 22.

But what should I use to fill and smooth out the small pits that were left behind by the rust I removed?
Is this what a filler primer is for or will I need a bondo-type product to fill those pits? (Iíd say the deepest ones are less than 0.4 millimeters). I hope using these fillers over a coat of 2K EP is ok.

Also, some people recommend applying a sealer before shooting the paint. Is this needed in my case?

Thanks a lot for putting up with my questions, Iím having great fun learning this.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)