View Single Post

Garage
Coilovers,...WOW!...speechless

ok, to start 1980 930 3.3

past history:

to the best of my knowledge the car rode on stock torsion bars, stock rear shocks, and somewhat new front struts.

the past owner gave me some paper work from two well known suspension shops in my area.

the car had been aligned, corner balanced, lowered, by these two shops, twice in a 5 year period (not sure why, never asked)

the only porsche i have owned and driven prior to this was a 1973 914, which i do not consider to even be in the same ballpark.

my 930 had a "old" jarring feeling. it was not a smooth ride what so ever. it felt like it would "hop" over bumps and dips. the only thing i can relate this to is my 66 mustang with 5 leaf rear springs

today, after a long winter rebuild (no idea what im doing...complete winter overhaul begins...) i finally got her back on the ground and took my first shakedown ride around the block...

i was originally on the fence about switching to coilovers, and after 15+ conversations with Clint at Rebel Racing, i pulled the trigger

he talked me into 275lb front springs with new sport inserts, and 400lb rear springs with sport shocks...

after pulling out of the driveway and hitting my first bump at the end of my street i was speechless. I got a child like grin from ear to ear like it was chirstmas.

i am sure this was a combination of all new bushings and shocks, but the car just felt "normal" and "new". I wish i new more suspension terminology, but all i could say is wow!

i wish this was the frist thing i did two years ago after buying the car. It is such a smooth, steady, solid ride. The car feels so much more "MODERN".

i just want to say, if anyone is on the fence about this, i would recommend this to anyone! I will report back when i actually get some more miles. I will be giving a ride to a couple fellow porsche guys who have asked me to see the difference. I will see if i can get them to chime in on this thread also.

sorry for the long winded non-sense, but i am truly speechless to how different the car feels

Last edited by jimtweet; 04-29-2012 at 08:07 AM..
Old 04-29-2012, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)