View Single Post
Forte500

Rob, I sort of went thru something similar when I had my recent bottom-up build. It was done by one of the best, and he urged me to not obsess about some minor leaks (actually weeps).

I did find that replacing the thermostat cover gasket and sender o-ring seemed to reduce the mystery leaks. One big fix was routing the breather hose (mine used filter at the end) outside the car - prior oil mist and fumes were leaking out the filter onto the top of the motor and finding its way along the bottom. At one pt - I was convinced it was leaking from the cylinder/case interface -not the case (no pun intended).

Still a minor weep coming from rear main seal and mine too has small puff of smoke on start-up. After that - not a bit of smoke even at high boost. Just did check-up leak down and numbers were perfect.

Nevertheless, if something sounds "unreasonable" it might be - even the best can cut corners on these fickle engines.

Best,
Frank
Old 05-04-2012, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)