View Single Post
Registered

Garage
Refining poor paint finish areas and touch up '84 911

First post after purchasing an '84 911(also 1st 911 - ). Bought car as a "driver", but as always, never satisfied with "as is". Even with a number of mini projects to do, the paint condition is bugging me.

Two issues:
1) One of PO's had a partial respray and is ok, but in areas like noted in photo, there is a not a complete coverage on respray and have distinct paint lines showing. How can I "smooth" these to improve transition of paint? I am quite a ways from needing total respray, so this is for now (and my satisfaction on apprearance).

2) There's a couple of areas where there is no paint (roof surface rain channels above doors). What would be be best (and how) to protect this surface? I'm not in financial position to have this repainted at shop (as I have a few more things to do to car), but want it to still look "factory" and protect the finish.

3) OK, so there's another... Car was stored outside under a cover for a few years by a PO. I am sure that's the factor for paint condition. Have read through forums with all kinds of advice, but haven't found answers to above or what's best to bring finish back (also considering issues above). Recommended steps to restore and improve paint and finish? Thanks all!!!

Old 05-08-2012, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)