View Single Post

I missed the school bus coming home from Jr. high school, one day. And as such, had to walk the several miles home. About half way there, I saw, for the first time, a couple of brand new 66' 427 Cobra's being spiritedly driven past me, and I remember how I loved the look and the sound of those two monsters. That beast instantly became my favorite car, and already being a car freak at the age of 13, I knew, one day, I would just have to have one. I think they went for a few thousand dollars back then and I figured by the time I reached my early 20's I would be able to afford one.

By the time I graduated college I was 22 and a few months later already raising a family on a US Navy Ensign's salary. By this time Cobra's were going for about $14,000 and that $14,000 still put them out of my reach.

The closest I came to owning a Cobra was a 67' 427 Corvette convertible with factory side pipes and a M-22 transmission that I bought 30 years ago but subsequently had to sell a couple of years later to feed/house said family. I remember loving the noise that transmission made as I went through the gears...And I loved how I could start out in third gear when I was coming home from work, dead tired, and just leaving it there as I drove through traffic.

Somehow it seemed, the older I got and the more I made, the more they cost.

I may be wrong, but I think when I bought my Vette for $5,500, the Cobra's were going for high five figures or low six figures, and as such, the Vette's were bargains in comparison...But as much as I loved that car, it just wasn't a Cobra.

Oh, I guess there were times when I could have bought a real Cobra...If I chose not to spend the 100's of thousands to put my kids through school or let someone else take care of my parents. But as much as I loved that car, I loved my family more.

A few years ago I bought a 65' Mustang fastback and restored it to look like a 66' Shelby. It's not a real one...Just a tribute. But at a time like this, I hope Carroll will forgive me and accept my tribute and rememberance to a man who has been part of my automotive dreams for 47 years. You will be missed.

Last edited by icemann427; 05-11-2012 at 06:18 PM..
Old 05-11-2012, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)