Thread: 930 misfire
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930cabman View Post
I am not into changing parts just for the sake or as a guessing game, maybe the plugs, but after that I am not sure. I do not know of a good way to check plug wires or a coil? Is there a simple test we can utilize without expensive electronic equipment?
Try this: Pull the car into the garage, turn off all the lights to get it pitch black inside (shutter outside windows if necessary), give your eyes a few minutes to adjust, pop the engine lid and fire her up. Look for sparkies along the wires.

Another way that sometimes works is to connect your timing light to each individual wire as close to the plug as possible. If the timing light isn't firing consistently, then there would be a short to ground somewhere before the plug.

And a third way is to just pull one plug wire at a time and see if it affects/or does not affect the idle.

And, do pull the distributor cap off to look for any cracks or carbon tracks that could cause a misfire.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)