View Single Post
After the next project

Garage
I would tend to disagree with ronnie a little... Here is why. When you rebuild a turbo motor you are supposed to stay off boost for first 500-1000 miles (some advice will differ I'm sure) and the engine is typically a lower compression motor (like 7 to 8:1) which means there is not a lot of compression or force to help seat the rings.

With all of that being said, when I rebuilt my 930 I have no idea how long it took to seat the rings but I never had smoke.... so, may be rings, may be something else.

On a rebuild such as yours did you have the cylinders cross hatched again for new rings? Did you re-do the cylinders or just replace the valve guides, seals and rings or did he do any machining? Did he check tolerances on rocker arm shafts and inspect for cracks? Lastly, rocker-arm shafts can be at very high risk to leak after removal and re-install if no attention was paid to their condition? Did he re-finish the rocker arms themselves or look at the cams?

Just making sure you did a top end job and what you expected to get based on what you paid for.... just trying to help. Please take this as merely advice or my .02 on where I would look and possible causes to your issues.

One last thing, are you leaking behind the cam box cover where the chains and tensioners are held? This is the surface between the chain box and cam tower where the cam go's into the cam tower... also a possible spot to leak.

Best of luck in your search for the culprit.

Cheers,
Bryan
Old 05-21-2012, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)