View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCity View Post
Hey Yinz Guys...

Please to meet you - this is Damon in the South Hills!

Very excited this thread exists. In an unexpected turn of events - thought i was going to buy a 987s boxster after selling 2004 s2000 - i just bought my first porsche last month. So the reason it was unexpected - the price was cut in half....why? Because it was painted dupont berry prism metallic! You guys may have seen it at byers columbus. Well - at that price, and after a ppi revealed that it was in decent nick with only 77,000 miles....i felt like it was a good entry point for me into the air cooled world i adored since i was a child. Already took care of some things from the PPI - new bilstein sport shocks/struts, cambermeister strut bar (i know i shoulda got elephant : (), new power seat switches, hi temp brake fluid, new direzza tires and front wheel bearings. Very excited to do car control clinic at PittRace this weekend.

Definitely struggling a bit with transmission - John Raysich says my bushings are ok. Thinking about throwing the wevo in - any experience with a wevo upgrade here?

Anywho look forward to picking everyone's brains....
Welcome to Pelican. Sounds like a nice car. Got any pics?

The shifter is 1 piece to the 915 shifting puzzle. You need to address the bushings in the shifter (the WEVO comes with them), the shift coupler, the engine and gearbox mounts, and the gearbox fluid. And the driver. If the bushings in the shifter and shift coupler are good, try draining and replacing the gearbox fluid. There are many threads to read here about pro's and con's of the different choices. My car had Swepco and I changed to Kendall. In my mind, the Kendall is noticeably better. With new fluid and bushings that are in good shape, if you still have issues with shifting, then attack the parts. The big thing with 915's is to be patient between gears. Their synchro's don't like to be rushed.

I have a WEVO shifter and shift coupler. They are fantastic, but my car had a Weltmeister shifter in it when I bought it which are pretty poor plus my engine and gearbox mounts were toast. Replacing those were a huge step in the right direction. But these parts only improve the positive action of shifting, there is less guess work, it's more confidence inspiring. But the slow synchro's are still there.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)