View Single Post

One Cold Cylinder - 930 Race car

Hoping someone here can help, my dad and I have been reading around and troubleshooting constantly.

We're having a problem with his 1980 Porsche 930 race car. It's a factory 930 3.3L with CIS and an MSD ignition system (6AL with Blaster coil).

We had a problem at a recent HPDE where it ran fine for a few laps and then all of the sudden it would cough and sputter (often dying off and then firing right back up) and would never come out of this underpowered coughing fit.

The front-most passenger side cylinder (#6?) spark plug is wet/black (running way too rich). Since this happened dad made brand new Taylor wires and re-built the distributor, this didn't stop the problem. The biggest indicator is the temperature reading with an infra-red thermometer on the #6 cylinder is almost 200 deg F cooler than the other 5, it registers 250 deg F where the others read around 450 consistently. A compression test revealed that it is well within range and consistent with the other cylinders.

This leads me to believe there is something wrong with the CIS? I think there's something wrong with the fuel distributor where the supply for cyl #6 is stuck open and feeding it way too much fuel constantly? Both fuel pumps are running and we're running out of ideas. Any input?
Old 05-28-2012, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)