View Single Post
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Boost at last!!

From day 1 this car has not been able to get on and stay on boost. She pulls good to 4200rpm (boost) then stutters or looses power. I can tell it would run strong if boost stayed. Anyway after looking at all the obvious stuff I rebuilt the BOV which had no identifiable gaskets left in it.
No improvement.
This really shocked me but I had no time to do any more so parked it. After weeks of this bugging me I pulled a used BOV off the shelf and pulled it apart. Looked brand new inside. This unit came off a 20K mile car but looks like zero miles. Decided to put new gaskets in it and swap it out with the cruddy one on the slant.

Finished the job and jumped in for a ride; no start. What the hell.
Long story short the (+) wire on the coil was corroded. Pulled all that apart cleaned everything and fired it up.

The engine immediately sounded better. Jumped in and ran 'er down the road and could tell this dude has some balls for a stocker. Got on the highway hit the loud peddle and WOW, this stock dude hauls ass! Very cool. Now that we have boost it's time to MOD. YES!

Moral of the story: changing gaskets may not fix a garbage BOV. This one was obviously not working correctly. The spring and pistons were all corroded and cleaning them up didn't do the job.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #336 (permalink)