View Single Post

Garage
You are right, there isn't much room. Honestly, it felt like I was doing surgery . . . very tedious. However with the A/C belt removed and the compressor slid all the way to the right on its mounting bracket, you will have room. However it won't be much.

Try to loosen the oil line nut (#32) first. There is room for that and all you will need is a 14mm box wrench. I had to use another wrench as an extension to give me leverage since the nut was on there tight. I also disconnected the oil line from the side of the engine to allow the oil line to back away from the through bolt (#48). With the oil line disconnected, you can work on loosening the through bolt all the way. The force of loosening the #32 nut actually loosened the #48 thoughbolt. With the throughbolt slightly loosened, you can push the mounting block (#46) down to give you better access to the throughbolt (its 17 mm) which makes removal much easier.

I am not sure if this is the factory approved technique, but it worked for me and was suggested in another thread. I wasn't going to gamble with breaking the throughbolt in my engine case, so it was worth the a$$pain. Good luck. I'm curious to see if you come up with an easier way once you get into it.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)