Thread: ECU Dilemma
View Single Post
Deepwater

Garage
David, The ignitor is in the ECU. I would like to figure out how the output failed for sure; however there is a history for failed coil connections both the HT and primary connections. Whether this caused a failure or not is unsure.

I looked in the ECU with the idea of repairing it, I think it is doable using parts sourced from Digikey or others; but although I could probably do it, my skills in the electronic repair world are few.

Right now, my approach is not to abandon the ECU and manufacturer; but pursue purchasing a new one and get the engine dyno tuning and converted to coil-on-plug to eliminate all the coil connections problems by a pro shop. I would also try and fix my present ECU to be a spare.

BTW, the tech support at DTA suggested a work around using the twin spark mode neatly (coils 1,2,3 and 4,5,7) sidestepping the broken coil #4. I haven't tried that yet because each time I work on the coils I have trouble with connections again.

I could use wasted spark; but Jeff @Rothsport pointed out that I would have to change the sequential injection to batch mode, something I wasn't aware of with my limited experience and obviously complicates the choice.

BTW, my dilemma sheds light on the problem of maintaining electronic parts used in EFI conversions over the new lease on life given to the car. How do you pick a electronic part manufacturer that works and is used by the Porsche community but will be around for the long haul?

Thanks for all your inputs...
1997 993 Coupe C2, 1987 930 Turbo Coupe, 1985 911 Carrera Coupe, 2002 Boxster S Blue (all departed)
Old 06-13-2012, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)