View Single Post

Just got off the phone with the mechanic. He's taken the car for a short drive.

He said it doesn't seem to be a fuel issue, but a boost leak somewhere. Said it's way down on power. I stand by my first suggestion, at least until control pressure info is available to rule out the WUR. Of course, "way down on power" could be the result of way rich mixture too

For starters he thinks the wastegate (stock) is opening too soon or leaking.
Wastegate issue doesn't explain the smoke though?? Agreed. Black smoke = pig rich. A stuck open WG would just limit boost and power

With regards to the mixture screw - yes the filter was pushing on the screw when it was installed. Sort of pushing sideways on it, not down. I thought the allen screw (spring-loaded) had to be depressed fully to have any effect on the mixture? Yep, gotta push it down maybe 10mm or more before it contacts the control arm. You can feel when it reaches resistance. I wouldn't say it wasn't part of your problem, but not all of it

And the debate - and search - goes on! Are we having fun yet???? Your mechanic will sort it out I'm sure
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)