View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bob View Post
This was from a year ago.....but some interesting numbers.

Nick Chambers | PluginCars.com

....Wilcke's team has been developing lithium-air batteries for the last few years.

Lithium-air is one of the most promising next generation batteries due to the fact that it could provide a 500 mile range in a drivetrain and battery combo that weighs about the same as a combustion engine drivetrain plus the fuel needed to go 500 milesóbut it is turning out to be a very tricky battery chemistry to figure out. As the Battery 500 website says, it is a "very high risk/very high reward, long horizon project," and potential commercialization may not be until 2020 or beyond.
If you'd revisit my post and link you'd find that several of Tesla's latest patents are metal-air battery related.

Quote:
To take a car 500 miles, you'd need about 130 kW of electricity, meaning a 130 kWh battery.
What a stupid generalization. That's like saying all gasoline powered cars get 23 mpg. Really!?

I'd imagine that the incremental gains I've been talking about will come from many fronts, not just battery tech. Gasoline has always had the same energy density too. But we continue to make cars that are safer, quicker, quiter, easier to drive, with more conveniences, and STILL make gains in their efficiency (mpg).

Lithium-air batteries might be a big leap. But there are many other little ones that add up.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)