View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Coffey View Post
Don't tell that to all of the manufacturers and businesses around the Globe who use petroleum in their products (or to make their products). It's ok to tell it to their consumers though.

Everything on Earth could be considered a "limited resource" including the (hazardous) metals/materials used to make the batteries that go into those electric cars. Where do you think that stuff comes from? Do you think strip-mining for metals is a better alternative to drilling for oil? What about the power needed to charge those magical batteries? Where do you think that stuff comes from?
The Sun is a limited resource? Wind? Tides?

Those are all limited?

I'm not sure why you and Glenn are fixated on the fact that oil is a limited resource. I did raise 4 other points to discuss, and all of them play off each other. This isn't a one dimensional debate. A lot of overlap.

Yes, lithium is a limited resource. I think what you are missing that is core to my position is that research & development and innovation are critical aspects of solving the evolving energy crises. So someday lithium will be in short supply. Creating a culture of innovation means that it's more likely newer, better, more efficient batteries and battery materials will be developed when that happens.

Building a culture of business and technology innovation by Government is an important part of global competitive advantage. One only needs to look at how the Chinese and the Germans have done this with solar. We were effectively shut out of that game when the governments of those two countries decided it was in their national best interests to own that technology.

Does the US own any technology today? Is it important to the country's well-being that it does?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #128 (permalink)